OK, that might be a slight exaggeration, but considering how much pain and discomfort and just plain disability I was suffering from a few days ago, I’m amazed how much better I am! Things were getting ‘worser and worser’, right up until the day after I’d had my first 20mg of prednisolone, and since then they’ve been getting better and better.
Other factors certainly aided in the recovery, including the house being scented with heavenly ‘get well flowers’ from Bro & SIL,a cheerful and cheering visit from my Mum and poor handy hubby on hand to wait on me flipper and foot… but I’m sure the pred has had a major part to play.
The day after my first lot of pred, I was able to bend the knee a bit more but still not really walk on it. The day after that I had MUCH less pain and could hobble about for a short while with my stick. Then I was back to work for half-days, and now, a week-and-a-bit later, I’m back to full-time work, not using the stick at all and feel pretty fine … just so long as I don’t try to walk up stairs normally and don’t try to stay up ‘past my bedtime’ which was about 7:30 pm yesterday!
I’m getting some twinges of backache from the right-hand side, which I suspect is all the heavy leaning on that side while hobbling about before the knee got better, but hopefully that will pass soon!
No side effects that I’m aware of from the steroids, so all’s well at the moment. Hurrah!
Massive readership spike today as I was featured in Arthritis Care‘s newsletter. A slightly belated THANK YOU to Arthritis Care for that. I’s quite perked me up! Will try to post later on the latest knee developments, which are all good!
This is going to be a very quick post – I’m having a flare in my left knee again. Old news, you may be thinking – but this is the WORST flare of my entire experience of RA. OK, my experience of RA has thankfully been pretty limited and has included, over the five-and-a-bit years since diagnosis, three or four impressive flares in my knee and very little else, but this time it’s different. Why?
- I’ve actually taken time off work… so apologies to people I owe emails to who read this blog and write to me on my work email!
- Previously I’ve had some serious pain, but it’s been short lived. This time the pain laaaaaaaaaaaaasts.
- I’ve got a prednisolone (sp?) taper
- I’ve not actually been ‘good’ since Christmas, when I had the last knee flare, since when I’ve had lots of pain in hands and feet … which bizarrely has mostly gone (unless I overdo the crochet) since the knee pain started. Any ideas as to why, anyone?
- I’ve got about four posts I want to write and can’t because I can’t sit in front of the computer long enough! They are:
- Hubby Knows Best
- Visit to the GP
- Learning from our Parents
- The Art of Patience in Patients
I wonder if I’ll ever get around to writing any of them … or indeed remember what on earth I was on about with the titles, when I’m able to sit up for longer?
Tata for now!